The Legal Services Authorities Act,1987
Section 2: Definitions.
2. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,—
1[(a) “case” includes a suit or any proceeding before a court;
(aa) “Central Authority” means the National Legal Services Authority constituted under section 3;
(aaa) “court” means a civil, criminal or revenue court and includes any tribunal or any other authority constituted under any law for the time being in force, to exercise judicial or quasi-judicial functions;]
(b) “District Authority” means a District Legal Services Authority constituted under section 9;
2[(bb) “High Court Legal Services Committee” means a High Court Legal Services Committee constituted under section 8A;]
(c) “legal service” includes the rendering of any service in the conduct of any case or other legal proceeding before any court or other authority or tribunal and the giving of advice on any legal matter;
(d)“Lok Adalat” means a Lok Adalat organised under Chapter VI;
(e) “notification” means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(f) “prescribed” means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
1[(ff) “regulations” means regulations made under this Act;]
(g) “scheme” means any scheme framed by the Central Authority, a State Authority or a District Authority for the purpose of giving effect to any of the provisions of this Act;
(h) “State Authority” means a State Legal Services Authority constituted under section 6;
(i) “State Government” includes the administrator of a Union territory appointed by the President under article 239 of the Constitution;
3[(j) “Supreme Court Legal Services Committee” means the Supreme Court Legal Services Committee constituted under section 3A;
(k) “Taluk Legal Services Committee” means a Taluk Legal Services Committee constituted under section 11A.]
(2) Any reference in this Act to any other enactment or any provision thereof shall, in relation to an area in which such enactment or provision is not in force, be construed as a reference to the corresponding law or the relevant provision of the corresponding law, if any, in force in that area.
1. by Act 59 of 1994, s. 2, for clause (a) (w.e.f. 29-10-1994).
2. Ins. by s. 2, ibid. (w.e.f. 29-10-1994).
3. by Act 59 of 1994, s. 2 (w.e.f. 29-10-1994).