Born on February 9, 1965. Son of late Salil Kumar Datta, a former Judge of the High Court at Calcutta, and brother-in-law of Justice Amitava Roy, former Judge of the Supreme Court.
Awarded LL.B. degree by the University of Calcutta (First batch of 5 year Law course) in 1989. Enrolled as an Advocate on November 16, 1989. Practised mainly in the High Court at Calcutta, as well as in the Supreme Court of India and other High Courts in Constitutional and Civil matters.
Was the Junior Standing Counsel for the State of West Bengal from May 16, 2002 to January 16, 2004.
Was Counsel for the Union of India since 1998. Appeared for a number of educational authorities and institutions including the University of Calcutta, W.B. School Service Commission and W.B. Board of Secondary Education. Was Guest Lecturer on Constitutional Law of India in the University College of Law, University of Calcutta, from 1996-97 to 1999-2000.
Was elevated to the Bench of the High Court at Calcutta as a permanent Judge on June 22, 2006. Elevated as the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court on April 28, 2020.
(TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE OF INDIA, PART 1 SECTION 2)
F. No. K-13011/03/2022-US.I
Government of India
Ministry of Law and Justice
Department of Justice
26, Man Singh Road, New Delhi-110 011.
Dated: 11th December, 2022
In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (2) of Article 124 of the Constitution of India, the President is pleased to appoint Shri Justice Dipankar Datta, Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, to be a Judge of the Supreme Court of India with effect from the date he assumes charge of his office.
Additional Secretary to the Government of India
Tel: 2338 3037
Government of India Press,
1. Shri Justice Dipankar Datta, Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court through Registrar General of Bombay High Court, Mumbai.
2. The Secretary to the Governor, Maharashtra, Mumbai.
3. The Secretary to the Governor, Goa, Panaji.
4. The Secretary to the Chief Minister, Maharashtra, Mumbai.
5. The Secretary to the Chief Minister, Goa, Panaji.
6. The Secretary to the Chief Justice, Bombay High Court, Mumbai.
7. The Chief Secretary, Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai.
8. The Chief Secretary, Government of Goa, Panaji.
9. The Registrar General, Bombay High Court, Mumbai.
10. The Accountant General, Maharashtra, Mumbai.
11. The Accountant General, Goa, Panaji.
12. The President’s Secretariat, (CA.II Section), New Delhi
13. PS to Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, PM’s Office, South Block, New Delhi.
14. Registrar (Conf.), o/o Chief Justice of India, 07, Krishna Menon Marg, New Delhi.
15. PS to MLJ/PS to MoS (L&J)/PPS to Secretary(J)
16. Technical Director, NIC, Department of Justice, with a request to upload on the on the
17. Website of the Department (doj.gov.in).
Under Secretry (Appointments)
Tele: 2338 2978