MINISTRY OF LAW AND JUSTICE
New Delhi, the 15th September, 2023/Bhadra 24, 1945 (Saka)
The following Act of Parliament received the assent of the President on the 14th September, 2023 and is hereby published for general information:—
The Mediation Act, 2023
No. 32 of 2023
[14th September, 2023]
An Act to promote and facilitate mediation, especially institutional mediation, for resolution of disputes, commercial or otherwise, enforce mediated settlement agreements, provide for a body for registration of mediators, to encourage community mediation and to make online mediation as acceptable and cost effective process and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
BE it enacted by Parliament in the Seventy-fourth Year of the Republic of India as follows:––
Section 1: Short title, extent and commencement.
1. (1) This Act may be called the Mediation Act, 2023.
(2) It shall extend to the whole of India.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification1, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act and any reference in any such provision to the commencement of this Act shall be construed as a reference to the coming into force of that provision.
1. Vide Notification No. S.O. 4384(E) dated 9th October, 2023, the following sections shall come into force w.e.f. 09.10.2023:
(1) Section 1;
(2) Section 3;
(3) Section 26;
(4) Sections 31 to 38 (both inclusive);
(5) Sections 45 to 47 (both inclusive);
(6) Sections 50 to 54 (both inclusive); and
(7) Sections 56 to 57 (both inclusive);
IBC Laws specifically does not make any warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of any such Material or the same being up-to-date. IBC Laws periodically updates the Material on this Site whenever amendments are made by Parliament. Refer disclaimer here.