The Consumer Protection Act, 2019
Act No. 35 of 2019
9th August, 2019
An Act to provide for protection of the interests of consumers and for the said purpose, to establish authorities for timely and effective administration and settlement of consumers’ disputes and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
BE it enacted by Parliament in the Seventieth Year of the Republic of India as follows:—
Section 1: Short Title, Extent, Commencement and Application.
1. (1) This Act may be called the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
(3) It shall come into force on such date1 2 as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different States and for different provisions of this Act and any reference in any such provision to the commencement of this Act shall be construed as a reference to the coming into force of that provision.
(4) Save as otherwise expressly provided by the Central Government, by notification, this Act shall apply to all goods and services.
1. Following sections shall come into force w.e.f. 20.07.2020 vide Notification No. S.O. 2351(E) dated 15th July, 2020:
|I||Section 2 [Except clauses (4), (13), (14), (16), (40)]|
|II||Sections 3 to 9 (both inclusive);|
|IV||Sections 28 to 73 (both inclusive);
[Except sub-clause (iv) of clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 58.]
|V||Sections 74 to 81 (both inclusive);|
|VI||Sections 82 to 87 (both inclusive);|
|VII||Sections 90 and 91;
[Except sections 88,89,92 & 93]
|VIII||-Sections 95, 98, 100,
[Except clauses (f) to (m) and clauses (zg), (zh) and (zi) of sub –section 2 ].
-Sections 102, 103, 105, 106, 107
[ Except sections 94, 96,97,99, 104]
2. Following sections shall come into force w.e.f. 24.07.2020 vide Notification No. S.O. 2421(E) dated 23rd July, 2020:
|I||Definition||Section 2 [clauses (4), (13), (14), (16), (40)]|
|III||Central Consumer Protection Authority||Sections 10 to 27 (both inclusive)|
|IV||Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission||Sub-clause (iv) of clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 58|
|VII||Offences and Penalties||Sections 88, 89, 92 and 93|
|VIII||Miscellaneous||-Sections 94, 96, 97 and 99.
-Clauses (f) to (m) of sub-section 2 and clauses (zg), (zh) and (zi) of sub–section 2 of Section 101
– Section 104
Disclaimer: Please refer Bare Act for original contents. Click here to access All Acts