The Companies Act, 2013
Chapter-XI Appointment and Qualifications of Directors
Section 161: Appointment of additional director, alternate director and nominee director.
*161. (1) The articles of a company may confer on its Board of Directors the power to appoint any person, other than a person who fails to get appointed as a director in a general meeting, as an additional director at any time who shall hold office up to the date of the next annual general meeting or the last date on which the annual general meeting should have been held, whichever is earlier.
(2) The Board of Directors of a company may, if so authorised by its articles or by a resolution passed by the company in general meeting, appoint a person, not being a person holding any alternate directorship for any other director in the company 1[or holding directorship in the same company], to act as an alternate director for a director during his absence for a period of not less than three months from India:
Provided that no person shall be appointed as an alternate director for an independent director unless he is qualified to be appointed as an independent director under the provisions of this Act:
Provided further that an alternate director shall not hold office for a period longer than that permissible to the director in whose place he has been appointed and shall vacate the office if and when the director in whose place he has been appointed returns to India:
Provided also that if the term of office of the original director is determined before he so returns to India, any provision for the automatic re-appointment of retiring directors in default of another appointment shall apply to the original, and not to the alternate director.
(3) Subject to the articles of a company, the Board may appoint any person as a director nominated by any institution in pursuance of the provisions of any law for the time being in force or of any agreement or by the Central Government or the State Government by virtue of its shareholding in a Government company.
(4) 2[**] if the office of any director appointed by the company in general meeting is vacated before his term of office expires in the normal course, the resulting casual vacancy may, in default of and subject to any regulations in the articles of the company, be filled by the Board of Directors at a meeting of the Board 1[which shall be subsequently approved by members in the immediate next general meeting]:
Provided that any person so appointed shall hold office only up to the date up to which the director in whose place he is appointed would have held office if it had not been vacated.
|Notification No.||Notification Date||w.e.f.||Provisions brought into force|
|S.O. 2754(E)||12.09.2013||12.09.2013||Section 161 [Except sub-section (2)]|
|S.O. 902(E)||26.03.2014||01.04.2014||Sub-section (2)|
1. Inserted by the Companies (Amendment) Act, 2017, w.e.f. 09.02.2018[S.O. 630(E) dated 09.02.2018].
2. Omitted by the Companies (Amendment) Act, 2017, w.e.f. 09.02.2018[S.O. 630(E) dated 09.02.2018], the words “In the case of a public company,“.
Access complete Bare Act here and Notification and Circular here.
IBC Laws specifically does not make any warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of any such Material or the same being up-to-date. IBC Laws periodically updates the Material on this Site whenever amendments are made by Parliament. Refer disclaimer here.