The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016
Part-IV Regulation of Insolvency Professionals, Agencies and Information Utilities
Chapter-VI Inspection and Investigation
Section 218: Investigation of insolvency professional agency or its member or information utility.
*218. (1) Where the Board, on receipt of a complaint under section 217 or has reasonable grounds to believe that any insolvency professional agency or insolvency professional or an information utility has contravened any of the provisions of the Code or the rules or regulations made or directions issued by the Board thereunder, it may, at any time by an order in writing, direct any person or persons to act as an investigating authority to conduct an inspection or investigation of the insolvency professional agency or insolvency professional or an information utility.
(2) The inspection or investigation carried out under sub-section (1) of this section shall be conducted within such time and in such manner as may be specified by regulations.
(3) The Investigating Authority may, in the course of such inspection or investigation, require any other person who is likely to have any relevant document, record or information to furnish the same, and such person shall be bound to furnish such document, record or information:
Provided that the Investigating Authority shall provide detailed reasons to such person before requiring him to furnish such document, record or information.
(4) The Investigating Authority may, in the course of its inspection or investigation, enter any building or place where they may have reasons to believe that any such document, record or information relating to the subject-matter of the inquiry may be found and may seize any such document, record or information or take extracts or copies therefrom, subject to the provisions of section 100 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973, insofar as they may be applicable.
(5) The Investigating Authority shall keep in its custody the books, registers, other documents and records seized under this section for such period not later than the conclusion of the investigation as it considers necessary and thereafter shall return the same to the concerned person from whose custody or power they were seized:
Provided that the Investigating Authority may, before returning such books, registers, other documents and record as aforesaid, place identification marks on them or any part thereof.
(6) A detailed report of inspection or investigation shall be submitted to the Board by the Investigating Authority.
*Effective from 15.11.2016.