The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016
Part-IV Regulation of Insolvency Professionals, Agencies and Information Utilities
Chapter-VI Inspection and Investigation
Section 220: Appointment of disciplinary committee.
*220. (1) The Board shall constitute a disciplinary committee to consider the reports of the investigating Authority submitted under sub-section (6) of section 218:
Provided that the members of the disciplinary committee shall consist of whole-time members of the Board only.
(2) On the examination of the report of the Investigating Authority, if the disciplinary committee is satisfied that sufficient cause exists, it may impose penalty1 as specified in sub-section (3) or suspend or cancel the registration of the insolvency professional or, suspend or cancel the registration of insolvency professional agency or information utility as the case may be.
(3) Where any insolvency professional agency or insolvency professional or an information utility has contravened any provision of this Code or rules or regulations made thereunder, the disciplinary committee may impose penalty which shall be—
(i) three times the amount of the loss caused, or likely to have been caused, to persons concerned on account of such contravention; or
(ii) three times the amount of the unlawful gain made on account of such contravention,
whichever is higher:
Provided that where such loss or unlawful gain is not quantifiable, the total amount of the penalty imposed shall not exceed more than one crore rupees.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (3), the Board may direct any person who has made unlawful gain or averted loss by indulging in any activity in contravention of this Code, or the rules or regulations made thereunder, to disgorge an amount equivalent to such unlawful gain or aversion of loss.
(5) The Board may take such action as may be required to provide restitution to the person who suffered loss on account of any contravention from the amount so disgorged, if the person who suffered such loss is identifiable and the loss so suffered is directly attributable to such person.
(6) The Board may make regulations to specify—
(a) the procedure for claiming restitution under sub-section (5);
(b) the period within which such restitution may be claimed; and
(c) the manner in which restitution of amount may be made.
*Effective from 15.11.2016.
1. Commencement of Disciplinary Proceeding-LA/010/2018, 23rd April, 2018.
IBC Laws specifically does not make any warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of any such Material or the same being up-to-date. IBC Laws periodically updates the Material on this Site whenever amendments are made by Parliament. Refer disclaimer here.