The Companies Act, 2013
Chapter-XVII Registered Valuers
Section 247: Valuation by registered valuers.
*247. (1) Where a valuation is required to be made in respect of any property, stocks, shares, debentures, securities or goodwill or any other assets (herein referred to as the assets) or net worth of a company or its liabilities under the provision of this Act, it shall be valued by 1[a person having such qualifications and experience, registered as a valuer and being a member of an organisation recognised, in such manner, on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed] and appointed by the audit committee or in its absence by the Board of Directors of that company.
(2) The valuer appointed under sub-section (1) shall,—
(a) make an impartial, true and fair valuation of any assets which may be required to be valued;
(b) exercise due diligence while performing the functions as valuer;
(c) make the valuation in accordance with such rules as may be prescribed; and
(d) not undertake valuation of any assets in which he has a direct or indirect interest or becomes so interested at any time 2[during a period of three years prior to his appointment as valuer or three years after the valuation of assets was conducted by him].
(3) If a valuer contravenes the provisions of this section or the rules made thereunder, the valuer shall be 3[liable to a penalty of fifty thousand rupees]:
Provided that if the valuer has contravened such provisions with the intention to defraud the company or its members, he shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year and with fine which shall not be less than one lakh rupees but which may extend to five lakh rupees.
(4) Where a valuer has been convicted under sub-section (3), he shall be liable to—
(i) refund the remuneration received by him to the company; and
(ii) pay for damages to the company or to any other person for loss arising out of incorrect or misleading statements of particulars made in his report.
*Effective from 18.10.2017.
1. Substituted by the Companies (Removal of Difficulties) Second Order, 2017, w.e.f. 23.10.2017, for the words “a person having such qualifications and experience and registered as a valuer in such manner, on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed“.
2. Substituted by the Companies (Amendment) Act, 2017, w.e.f. 09.02.2018[S.O. 630(E) dated 09.02.2018], for the words “during or after the valuation of assets“.
3. Substituted by the Companies (Amendment) Act, 2020, w.e.f. 24.03.2021[S.O. 1303(E) dated 24.03.2021], for the “punishable with fine which shall not be less than twenty-five thousand rupees but which may extend to one lakh rupees“.
Note: Vide Notification No. S.O. 3401 (E) dated 23.10.2017, delegated powers under section 247 of the Companies Act, 2013 to Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India(IBBI).
Access complete Bare Act here and Notification and Circular here.
IBC Laws specifically does not make any warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of any such Material or the same being up-to-date. IBC Laws periodically updates the Material on this Site whenever amendments are made by Parliament. Refer disclaimer here.