The Recovery of Debts due to Banks and Financial Institutions Act, 1993
Recovery of Debt determined by Tribunal
Section 27: Stay of proceedings under certificate and amendment or withdrawal thereof.
27. 1[(1) Notwithstanding that a certificate has been issued to the Recovery Officer for the recovery of any amount, the Presiding Officer, may by an order, grant time for payment of the amount, provided the defendant makes a down payment of not less than twenty-five per cent. of the amount specified in the recovery certificate and gives an unconditional undertaking to pay the balance within a reasonable time, which is acceptable to the applicant bank or financial institution holding recovery certificate.
(1A) The Recovery Officer shall, after receipt of the order passed under sub-section (1), stay the proceedings until the expiry of the time so granted.
(1B) Where defendant agrees to pay the amount specified in the Recovery Certificate and proceeding are stayed by the Recovery Officer, the defendant shall forfeit right to file appeal against the orders of the Tribunal.
(1C) Where the defendant commits any default in payment of the amount under sub-section (1), the stay of recovery proceedings shall stand withdrawn and the Recovery Officer shall take steps for recovery of remaining amount of debt due and payable.]
(2) Where a certificate for the recovery of amount has been issued, the Presiding Officer shall keep the Recovery Officer informed of any amount paid or time granted for payment, subsequent to the issue of such certificate to the Recovery Officer.
(3) Where the order giving rise to a demand of amount for recovery of debt has been modified in appeal, and, as a consequence thereof the demand is reduced, the Presiding Officer shall stay the recovery of such part of the amount of the certificate as pertains to the said reduction for the period for which the appeal remains pending.
(4) Where a certificate for the recovery of debt has been received by the Recovery Officer and subsequently the amount of the outstanding demands is reduced 2[or enhanced] as a result of an appeal, the Presiding Officer shall, when the order which was the subject matter of such appeal has become final and conclusive, amend the certificate or withdraw it, as the case may be.
1. Subs. by s. 39, ibid., for sub-section (1) (w.e.f. 1-9-2016).
2. Ins. by Act 1 of 2000, s. 10 (w.e.f. 17-1-2000).