Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act, 2002 (SARFAESI Act, 2002)
Offences and Penalties
Section 30D: Recovery of penalties
1[(1) Any penalty imposed under section 30A shall be recovered as a “recoverable sum” and shall be payable within a period of thirty days from the date on which notice demanding payment of the recoverable sum is served upon the person in default and, in the case of failure of payment by such person within such period, the Reserve Bank may, for the purpose of recovery,—
(a) debit the current account, if any, of the person in default maintained with the Reserve Bank or by liquidating the securities, if any, held to the credit of such person in the books of the Reserve Bank;
(b) issue a notice to the person from whom any amount is due to the person in default, requiring such person to deduct from the amount payable by him to the person in default, such amount equivalent to the amount of the recoverable sum, and to make payment of such amount to the Reserve Bank.
(2) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (4), a notice issued under clause (b) of sub-section (1) shall be binding on every person to whom it is issued, and, where such notice is issued to a post office, bank or an insurance company, it shall not be necessary to produce any pass book, deposit receipt, policy or any other document for the purpose of any entry or endorsement thereof before payment is made, notwithstanding any rule, practice or requirement to the contrary.
(3) Any claim in respect of any amount, arising after the date of issue of notice under sub-section (1) shall be void as against the demand contained in such notice.
(4) Any person, to whom the notice is sent under sub-section (1), objects to such notice by a statement on oath that the sum demanded or any part thereof is not due to the person in default or that he does not hold any money for or on account of the person in default, then nothing contained in this section shall be deemed to require, such person to pay such sum or part thereof, as the case may be.
(5) Where it is found that statement made by the person under sub-section (4) is false in material particulars, such person shall be personally liable to the Reserve Bank to the extent of his own liability to the person in default on the date of the notice, or to the extent of the recoverable sum payable by the person in default to the Reserve Bank, whichever is less.
(6) The Reserve Bank may, at any time, amend or revoke any notice issued under sub-section (1) or extend the time for making the payment in pursuance of such notice.
(7) The Reserve Bank shall grant a receipt for any amount paid to it in compliance with a notice issued under this section and the person so paying shall be fully discharged from his liability to the person in default to the extent of the amount so paid.
(8) Any person discharging any liability to the person in default after the receipt of a notice under this section shall be personally liable to the Reserve Bank—
(a) to the extent of his own liability to the person in default so discharged; or
(b) to the extent of the recoverable sum payable by the person in default to the Reserve Bank,
whichever is less.
(9) Where the person to whom the notice is sent under this section, fails to make payment in pursuance thereof to the Reserve Bank, he shall be deemed to be the person in default in respect of the amount specified in the notice and action or proceedings may be taken or instituted against him for the realisation of the amount in the manner provided in this section.
(10) The Reserve Bank may enforce recovery of recoverable sum through the principal civil court having jurisdiction in the area where the registered office or the head office or the principal place of business of the person in default or the usual place of residence of such person is situated as if the notice issued by the Reserve Bank were a decree of the Court.
(11) No recovery under sub-section (10) shall be enforced, except on an application made to the principal civil court by an officer of the Reserve Bank authorised in this behalf certifying that the person in default has failed to pay the recoverable sum.]
1. Inserted by Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws and Miscellaneous Provisions (Amendment) Act, 2016, (w.e.f. 1-9-2016).