The General Clauses Act, 1897
General Rules of Construction
Section 5: Coming into operation of enactments.
5. 1[(1) Where any Central Act is not expressed to come into operation on a particular day, then it shall come into operation on the day on which it receives the assent,-
(a) in the case of a Central Act made before the commencement of the Constitution, of the Governor-General, and
(b) in the case of an Act of Parliament, of the President.]
2[* * *]
(3) Unless the contrary is expressed, a 3[Central Act] or Regulation shall be construed as coming into operation immediately on the expiration of the day preceding its commencement.
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for sub-section (1).
2. Sub-section (2) omitted by the A.O. 1950
3. Subs. by the A.O. 1937, for “Act of the Governor-General in Council”
Disclaimer: Please refer Bare Act for original contents. Click here to access All Acts